Opening students’ eyes to career opportunities is at the heart of Sherman Thomas STEM Academy. While learning about the world around them, students begin to explore their interests and direct their futures.
Our program schedule is unique in that we operate a slightly longer day (8:00am–3:30pm) Monday through Thursday, and then have a half day (8:00am–12:00pm) on Friday. This half-day is dedicated to exploring careers and “getting our hands dirty” with projects in the following ways:
· Inviting Madera businesses into our school to share about their industry, including educational requirements to enter their field
· Visiting Madera businesses and local community resources to see projects “as they happen” and connecting with what students learn in the classroom
· Experiments designed by students to explore scientific concepts, using specialized equipment, including our campus greenhouse, to demonstrate learning
· Field trips to out-of-town locations that promote learning in STEM fields
· Challenge Days where students work in peer groups to create an object or overcome an obstacle, given a set of limits. Students will employ skills in collaboration and problem solving to meet the goals of each Challenge.
· Inviting “guest teachers” to work alongside students, share their experience, and model planning and project management techniques brings the community into our program and continues to nurture the seeds of career readiness for our students
To learn more about how your business can partner with us on these Fridays, please go to our Corporate Partnerships page.
To learn how you, as a parent, can be involved, go to our Parent Involvement page.
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin